111

Sunday 17 May 2020

What are ways to enhance the public understanding of the challenges Latinos face in accessing higher education

Romana Stiman: This is a class problem, not a ethnic problem.Most of what we know we learn at the dinner table. Like me, most Latinos are working class. At the dinner table, working class kids learn that you are expected to go get a job and work hard. Our parents consider the college educated as slackers and hard work is more respected. Also parents who haven't been to college don't know about getting their kids into college, they just know it costs more money than they have. A 10 year old middle class kid know more about getting into college than most working class parents....Show more

Vernon Martorana: My brother and I are Mexican American. Our grandparents and mother were all born and raised in Mexico. Dad was born and raised here. I'd say the characteristic most common to Latinos in higher education today is that they love to read and their parents instilled that in them. My mother may have only gone through grade school in Mexico but she reads and she tau! ght herself to read in English. I remember as a grade school kid helping her read the newspaper, helping her learn.Whether Latino or any other ethnic group, it's important for kids to be taught to read and for them to enjoy reading, to be well read....Show more

Ivan Velazquez: My friend did her doctoral thesis on this subject and her conclusion is that if Latinos want an education bad enough, they get it. I did. She did.Personally, I thought that here were three (3) main barriers to Latinos getting a higher education:(1) Finances - Latinos tend to be economically disadvantaged and aren't savvy about applying for grants and other assistance so they need the help of the school to manuver through that;(2) Family values - Latinos may not value a higher education as much as some other ethnic groups; and(3) Family responsibilities - Too many Latinas having kids too young.My parents scrimped and saved to be able to help me go to college and I even went on to get an advanced ! degree plus I was not one of the ones having kids. My parents ! taught me that FIRST you get your education, then you get a good job and then, only then, do you marry and reproduce. Not enough Latino parents are instilling those values in their kids....Show more

Bennie Lantgen: They must be raised to value higher education and it must be reinforced by their teachers and role models. Downplay the basketball star / rock star types and teach them about people who have saved millions of lives (i.e. Norman Borlaug). . . make sure to cater to their culture and gender so they can relate to the person.

No comments:

Post a Comment