111

Saturday 14 March 2020

Desperately seeking employment?

Theresia Fashaw: Man I can feel your pain. I am sorry to hear about your situation. I don't have a wife and kids but I am looking just like you and I get nothing. I just keep trying hoping something will come up and yet again I got zero results. Life is tough out there and it feel like it is getting tougher day by day. I am trying hard to find jobs related to my accounting degree, which I received in December 2008. Still no luck with anything all because I don't have many years work experience to go with a degree. Now that sucks. Now I am looking for anything even if it is not degree related. I need a bigger paycheck because now I am drowning in student loan debt which I cannot pay back because I did not land that great job due to my degree. BTW. Why were you fired anyway? What happened?...Show more

Robt Betker: Even though you were terminated, a supervisor at your last job may give you a letter of recommendation. It is worth contacting someone there who you did ge! t along with. Ask them if you can use them as a contact for a reference. You might also have someone you know contact them for a reference and see what they say. I have done this before, and although I did not leave on good terms, they did not give me a bad reference, but I did use a different supervisor as a contact. Things worked out fine. Don't be afraid of part-time work just to get your foot in the door....Show more

Jude Colbenson: Post your resume on Monster.com and Hotjobs.com. Also, most companies have applications set up on their websites. Find companies you want to work for, look to see if they have any jobs posted and then submit your application.When a potential employer asks about your previous employment...keep in mind that when they call your previous employer...they can only give out minimal information. Like job title and dates of employement. They can not discuss any attendance, performance or personal issues that they had with you. They ca! n only report the facts (dates of employement and job title an! d maybe a short description of your job duties)....Show more

Stanton Degregorio: My humble opinion, is to just keep on doing what you've been doing. I've been there, done that, now, I have to stay home and take care of a diabetic. No money involved, but, I've tried working myself and just couldn't handle it any longer. But, just keep on doing your resume, try to turn your outlook back around to a wee bit positive, pray to the man upstaires, and hope for the better. According to the news one night,economy is suppose to be getting better, but, they can't fool me. Are you registered with the Department of Labor? Any temporary agencies? They could find you something, then, that something could lead into full time. Good Luck....Show more

Bo Perham: Your resume is your FIRST IMPRESSION. Make sure that it is grammatically correct and that it has a witty inteligence to it. Don't be too stiff, but Show that the person behind the Resume has a Personality. When you ! bring your resume in to the retailer, ask specifically for the supervisor. If he or she isn't there, find out when that person will be available and come back then. Upon meeting the supervisor, shake thier hand introducing yourself, hand him or her your resume and thank him RIGHT THEN AND THERE for their consideration on your application, which you would have filled out and submitted with the Resume!....hole in one baby!...Show more

Corrina Faro: I have worked in the retail business for 35 years and have done recruiting, interviewing and hiring for 3 major retail companies during that time.One thing an employer wants to avoid is an employee who argues with or undermines the management of the team. When you are "up front" and say you were terminated after 4 years due to a disagreement with upper management, you immediately identify yourself as an undesirable prospect.I don't know of any reputable company today who gives work performance references. All of them will o! nly "verify" the information you give about your previous (1) Job respo! nsibilities (2) Length of time you worked there and (3) Your salary when you left. We used to include a question about "Is this person eligible for rehire?" but that has been eliminated today as well.By preventing someone from getting a job because of poor reference, the company is opening itself up to a potential law suit from that individual. For that reason (and because litigation is so expensive today), companies only VERIFY the three employment history questions listed above.As to "Why did you leave your last job", I would probably just say that there was a downsizing in my department and I had been there the least amount of time. The company isn't going to tell anyone "why" you are no longer with them. The good side of this sorry economy is that anyone will believe that your company went through a downsizing since it is happening every day now.Now if you worked for Papa John's Mini Mart, and you are applying at another local mom and pop type business in the same s! mall town, there is nothing to keep the manager from calling Papa John and he'll probably spill the beans! But if you worked for a large company you can rest assured they aren't going to divulge much information about you.I know one retail manager who was fired and arrested for stealing from the store--she was caught red handed and taken off to jail. She hired a good attorney and got the charges dismissed. About 12 months later she was a manager at a major competing retail store. There is no way they would have hired her if they knew what had happened, but she said she quit because of an illness that she was now over, and our company only provided the three essential references; did not tell them why she left or that she was not eligible for rehire.As to the resume business, I recently read an article about what a waste of time it is to send out resumes in this economy. With almost every major company accepting resumes over the Internet now, they are bombarded with tho! usands a week (some get hundreds every day) and the odds of yours being! selected is very slim.You need to decide what you want to do and where that job is available. Then you need to go in person, resume in hand, and ask for a job application and an interview. It's easy to throw a resume in the trash can, but not so easy to dismiss a real person standing at the door asking for a job.Clean up the resume and get rid of that "fired because I disagreed with the manager" clause. Don't even put the reason for leaving on your resume.If you insist on mailing a resume, then include a cover letter in which you say that you were released from your previous job due to a reduction in the work force caused by the difficult economy.I was unemployed for 16 months once when the company I worked for went out of business. It was very discouraging as I sent out many resumes with quite an impressive work history to probably two dozen companies. I only got one interview from all those resumes! I ended up with my present job through networking with some friend! s who work for my current employer.Since you don't say what kind of work you are looking for, it's hard to give anything more than general recommendations. I know it's hard and nobody can blame you for becoming discouraged. It scared me after several months that I might not be able to find another job in my salary range. Nobody wanted to hire me for what I had been making and nobody would offer me lower paying jobs because they though I would just quit when I found something that payed better.But eventually it will work out. In the meantime, I'd get a part time job doing anything available even if it is in a restaurant or cashier at a store. Anything to bring in a little extra money and help keep your mind occupied. Who knows, that could even lead to more opportunities for you.Did you make friends with anyone in the 4 years you worked in your past job? Did any of those people leave and get work elsewhere? That's a starting place. Give them a call and let them know ! you need a job. Maybe some are in positions to recommend you to the ma! nagement and at least get you an interview.Good luck in your search. I hope you find something in the near future....Show more

No comments:

Post a Comment